19 January 2011

one of my husband's favorites


This is one of my husband's favorite recipes and we make it quite often because of that.  This recipe originally comes from my best friend, but as I have made it more, I have modified it a little.  All in all, it's easy and it is delicious.  Give it a try!

Apple Crisp

What you'll need---
6-8 Granny Smith apples (we typically use 6 medium sized apples, but it really all depends on the size and your apple to crisp ratio preference)
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2-1 cup flour (I don't like too much flour in my crisp)
1-3 cups oats (I typically do around 2 cups because I love a really oaty crisp and you get all that fiber!)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
2/3-1 cup softened butter (if you are using margarine, only use 2/3 cup and no more)
vanilla frozen yogurt (optional, and you can always use ice cream, I just prefer frozen yogurt)

What you'll do---
Step 1: preheat oven to 350
Step 2: peel and thinly slice the apples and place in a greased 9x13 pan (I like to toss my apples with a little cinnamon/sugar mixture just to give them added flavor.  It really improves the taste, at least to me)
Step 3: combine the brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
Step 4: add the softened butter and mix until everything is well coated and moist and the mixture is wet but still chunky/crumbly (I add more butter because I like big moist chunks rather than a drying crumblier crisp).
Step 5: Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until the top starts to brown and the apple juices are bubbly.
Step 6: Serve with frozen yogurt and enjoy!

This is really a super easy recipe you can mix up and adjust to fit your preference.  I hope you enjoy it and thanks go out to my best friend for giving me this recipe back when we were roommates...hope you don't mind that I posted it!

1 comment:

  1. So umm... I just made some Apple Crisp on Monday. Seriously, we're making all of the same things!

    ReplyDelete