26 January 2011

cinnabon inspired cinnamon rolls

These cinnamon rolls are divine.  To quote my husband he said he had, "died and gone to heaven," when he took his first bite.
I woke up Saturday morning wanting to make cinnamon rolls, so I did.  I decided to try a new recipe because the one I have made in the past makes a lot of dough and I just didn't want to do that.  So, I found this recipe and gave it a try.  Let me tell you folks, I'll never make any other cinnamon roll recipe.  Yup, it's that good.  So here it is...give it a try and wow everyone you know.

What you'll need---
For the dough:
1 scant tbsp (1 packet) of yeast
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
4 cups flour

For the filling:
1 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup softened butter

For the frosting:
8 tbsp butter
1/4 cup cream cheese
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt

What you'll do---
***I didn't take any pictures of the dough making process because I didn't think to do a post until the dough was rising.  The dough is easy to make though, so don't worry about it!
Step 1: Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk (let it dissolve for a while, longer than you would in water)
Step 2: Add sugar, butter, eggs, flour, salt and mix until all combined.
Step 3: Knead (the longer you knead it, the better but if you're doing this by hand, don't over work yourself)
Step 4: Cover lightly in oil and rise for an hour or until it about doubles in size (mine didn't double on the first rise so I ended up rising it again later)
Step 5: While the dough is rising, make the filling by mixing the brown sugar and cinnamon (I didn't make as much as the recipe calls for because I knew I wouldn't need that much and I didn't want a bunch of leftovers that I would have nothing to do with).


Step 6: Once the dough has risen, roll it out until it is about 1/4-inch thick.  Try to make it as square as possible.  It helps to shape the dough into a square before rolling.


Step 7: Pour the softened/melted butter over the dough and spread it out.  Then sprinkle on the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture as evenly as possible.

Step 8: Starting at one end, roll the dough up like a big ol' swiss roll...this is always my favorite part...ha ha.


Step 9: Cut into cinnamon rolls and place in a buttered baking dish.  Depending on the size you cut your rolls depends on the size of a dish you'll need.  I did more smaller rolls and needed a 9x13, but you could easily do less bigger rolls and put them in a 9x9 or 8x8. 


Step 10:  At this point I rose the rolls again for about 30 minutes so they could double.  This isn't necessarily needed but I would recommend it.
Step 11: Bake at 400 for 15-25 minutes, until the start to brown.


Step 13: While baking, make the frosting by creaming the butter and cream cheese and then adding the rest of the ingredients.
    ***Just a note, I put less butter in the frosting so it would be a little tangy-ier. 
Step 14: When the rolls are done, serve them up with the frosting and ENJOY!!!!


And that's it...easy peasy and incredibly delicious.  So if you have a craving for some cinnamon rolls, don't go buy them!  Just make these and they will change your world!  Ha ha ha, enjoy, folks!

2 comments:

  1. i hate you. you make yummy things and then dont share,,,,and no i dont want to make them for myself....i want someone to just give them to me me. you smell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. reading back to this little post of mine, it sounds a little aggressive....you still smell. i know this because when the wind blows east really hard i get a whiff. hahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahha

    ReplyDelete